Today the Institute caters to over 700 individuals annually and serves as a 'one stop shop' for all the needs of an individual with Intellectual Disability.
Our spectrum of services includes:
- Diagnosis and Therapeutic Intervention - Multidisciplinary team of professionals assess the children with the aim of early detection, diagnosis, treatment, training & rehabilitation. We also use this data to write Research Papers.
- Jai Vakeel School - Apart from functional academics, our students also learn dance, music, sports etc. We have 350 children in the age group of 5-18 years.
- Autism Centre - Educational and therapeutic intervention to individuals with Autism and Mental Retardation. We have 30 children in this section.
- Vocational Training & Rehabilitation Centre - The students here are learning diffrent vocations and we are working towards making them as independent as possible.
- Residential Section - Provides respite to the parents of persons with Disabilities (PWD's) on a short term and long term basis. Nearly 40 students in this section.
- College of Special Education - Trains qualified professionals, who will work with special children.
- Sponsorship for Special Education: We have 350 children in the age group of 5-18 years receiving Special Education. Apart from functional academics, our students also learn dance, music, sports etc. The cost per child in this section is Rs. 18,000/- . We need to raise funds for sponsoring 50 students. (Rs. 9,00,000/-)
- Sponsorship for Vocational Training: The students in the Vocational Training Centre are learning different vocations and we are working towards making them as independent as possible. The cost per student in this section is Rs. 28,000/- . Out of 288 students in this section 20 students need sponsorship this year. (Rs. 5,60,000/-)
- Sponsorship for Residential facility: The Residential Section provides Lodging, Boarding to 37 students. These are individuals who either stay too far to be able to travel or have nobady in their family to care for them. We have Nurses and Care taking staff around the clock to care for these students. We run a full kitchen to provide healthy nutritious food to all our Residential students. Out of 37 students 10 students need sponsorship. (Rs. 9,00,000/-)
Mental Retardation can be divided into Borderline, mild, moderate, severe and profound grade. We serve all categories. The borderline group are the educable group and so are admitted under National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) section of our special school. They are also taught vocational skills.
Tahir A. K. Pandhre came to us with the chief complain of limited speech, repeated falls while walking, poor attention and preoccupation. He used to beat the neighboring children. He was diagnosed to have Ataxic Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation with Secondary Microcephaly (due to pre maturity and low birth weight). He had an I. Q. of around 54-56 points which placed him in the moderate grade of retardation.
Tahir was recommended placement in a Pre-Nursery Class with Language and Speech stimulation program. Tahir did very well and was promoted regularly from April 1989 to 2000. In June 2000 he was placed in the NIOS group and has successfully completed Level C which is equivalent to 8th standard. While studying he was also trained in computer programming, hardware and software, assembling the systems.
Today Tahir is managing all the 40 computer systems in our Institute and providing computer education in the NIOS class. He is happily and is happily married and financially stable.