Umang Centre for Autistics and Slow Learners, located at Mumbai, focusing on treatment of children with autistic disorder and slow learners. Umang provides its services to affording as well as non-affording (poor) class parents and children through its activities. Apart from close to 48 special children at its own school, Umang provides therapy and education free of cost to close to 150 special children at a BMC school in Borivali, Mumbai. At Umang, we concentrate on children diagnosed with developmental disabilities mainly Autism and slow learning syndromes.
Dr. Mrs. Bhawana Kerkar, a Clinical Psychologist (Chair and Founder Trustee of UMANG Charitable Trust), initially started providing counseling and therapy to a few children at her own home premises. Umang School for Autistics and Slow Learners was started in 2005 at Mahavir Nagar, Kandivali. Umang School is equipped with the latest equipment's and trained therapist to provide quality education and therapy to children. Hundreds of children and their families have greatly benefited from the services provided by this Trust since its inception.
What do we do at UMANG:
- Early intervention to help parents to decide course of action for education and therapy of their child.
- Acceptance of the teenage autistics by the society and independence in all the self-help areas.
- Independence and employment of the autistic adult in the community.
UMANG provides the following services through its school for autistics and slow learners:
- Psycho Educational Assessment
- Psychological Counseling and Guidance
- Occupational Therapy and Sensory Integration
- Remedial Education
- Cognitive Therapy
We are seeking funding to deploy it for an independent space at a single venue. The potential of this project would be unleashed only by having different activities like Training, Guidance and Therapies under one roof. For this objective, we have identified a suitable space at Borivali West, Mumbai. Details for the same will be attached with the proposal.The reasons for these requirements are:
- Currently, our Kandivali intervention is located across three different premises.
- Moving across different premises causes considerable inconvenience to children.
- Moreover, teachers, therapists as well as other volunteers also find this arrangement inconvenient and demanding.
- We intend to provide all our services within a single premise and also to reach out to additional children at Borivali (West).
- In addition, we envisage expansion by setting up more Umang Centres across Mumbai in future.
- We also plan to initiate a Vocational Training Program for the differently able in the age group of 16-18 years. This program would be the next stage as in addition to the time we invested in educating, we could also help them with sustainable vocational skills that could help them gainfully employed. This in turn will make them self-sufficient and less dependent on their parents and the community. Currently, there is no such program for children with autism and learning disabilities.
Success Stories: Vinitha
Vinitha was referred to Umang for therapy and education in 2006.
Symptoms: Hyper, Temper, Violent tendencies, No eye contact, Incapable of self care and hygiene
Diagnosis: Autistic with various sensory and behavioral issues
Treatment: Speech therapy, Occupational therapy, Sensory integration, Behavior therapy.
After Treatment: Reduced hyper tendencies, reduced temper, reduced violent tendencies, improved self-care and hygiene, improved eye-contact.
She can sit at one place for longer period of time, completed NIOS level A and now giving Level B Exams.