Days of Caring
Days of Caring are day long programs organized by United Way to provide its corporate partners with an opportunity to:
- Impact communities in a chosen area of need with underprivileged communities
- Interact with the communities which need help and make a personal connection
- Get sensitized to the various community related issues which need attention
- Great way to get to connect with colleagues and build camaraderie
Over the past few years, Days of Caring has proven to be a mutually beneficial activity in that not only the beneficiaries get a value addition by interacting with corporate professionals but also the employees become socially conscious and learn to value life more - moving a step forward towards building sustainable communities.
Some examples of past events:JP Morgan CCS
On the occasion of World Environment Day 5th June 2009, the employees of JP Morgan CCS in partnership with United Way of Mumbai and P-North Municipal Ward Office carried out a Clean-Up drive in Chincholi Bandar Junction Road, Opposite, Malad (West).
The highlights of the event are:
- The drive saw participation of 60 employees who came out on the streets and cleaned the locality.
- The company made provision for and helped install 6 litter bins.
- The employees interacted with fellow citizens and shopkeepers to impress on them the importance of cleanliness and preserving the environment.
A similar activity was undertaken by the company in 2008. The group has been actively engaged in Days of Caring activities. Some of them are listed below:
- On 1st November 2008, the employees visited Aarambh for the Inauguration of the Indira Nagar Community center which was a need felt for the betterment of the children in this locality.
- On12th September 2008, they organized an educational visit to Nehru Planetarium for the children of Aarambh. 60 children were a part of this visit and 20 employees accompanied them with enthusiasm.
- On 31st May 2008 a visit was organized for the employees to Aarambh - a centre for children in Turbhe by the leadership team of JP Morgan.
On 21st March 2009, 11 BACS employees visited the Chembur Children's Home. BACS through its payroll giving program supports a computer literacy center in the children's home for 28 children. The purpose of the visit was to spend time with the beneficiaries of the program to get to know them better and to see their progress.
It was a mutually beneficial experience. Both the children and the employees enjoyed the interaction. In fact, the employees have decided to go at least once a month to spend time with the children.
The event flowed as follows:
- Learning about the NGO Sahara Charitable Society
- One on one interaction with the children at the computer center
- Indoor games conducted by the employees for the children
- Prizes given out to the children
- Snack time for one and all
On 5th June 2008 Monsanto employees undertook a Clean-Up drive with United Way of Mumbai at Mahakali caves, MIDC road, Andheri.
The employees with great zeal invested their day in:
- Physical cleaning of the area which is usually wrongly understood as menial by many.
- One to one interaction with the local shopkeepers, vendors and hawkers to ensure continued cleanliness in the vicinity.
- Educating the people about the vitality of cleanliness which was done with the use of eye catching posters and motivating discussions.
The employees of JP Morgan GKN spread smiles among children of Muskaan on different occasions:
- On 28th February 2009:Organized a picnic to Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- On 17th October, 2008: an educational trip to Nehru Science center and Planetarium
- On 17th May, 2008: Movie screening of "Bhoothnath" for the kids at Cinemax Andheri.
- On15th Dec, 2007: Arranged a Christmas Party at their office for the children where the animated movie "Hanuman" was shown and gifts and snacks were distributed.
On 28th June 2008, Times of India group organized a screening of the movie "Thoda Pyaar Thoda magic" for the kids of Muskaan. The director of the film, Mr. Kunal Kohli was also present for the occasion and went a long way in raising the spirits of the children.Barclays
Barclays partnered with United Way of Mumbai in a visit to Hellen Keller Institute at Mahape, Navi Mumbai on 29th September, 2007.
- The institute gave an orientation programme for the volunteers educating them about disability, nature of education provided and related therapies.
- The employee volunteers prepared some educational material for the children, under the guidance of special educators.
- They spent some memorable moments with the children at the institute