United Way Mumbai Helpline initiatives have been a tremendous success in Mumbai. This prompted United Way India, the parent body for all United Way chapters nationwide, to designate United Way of Mumbai as a "Centre of Excellence for establishing United Way Helplines at other local United Way chapters across India" in May 2010. The objective is to leverage the expertise that UWMH has gained over the past three years in the city of Mumbai and share this with other United Way chapters in Delhi, Bengaluru, Baroda, Hyderabad, Hubli-Dharwad, Chennai and Kolkata so that over a period of time, it will be possible to establish fully functional United Way Helplines all over the country.
The United Way India Helpline initiatives will be primarily in the space of environmental preservation and disaster preparedness, response, management, relief & rehabilitation. United Way of Mumbai will work in close coordination with the local United Way chapters (their team and the board members) towards attaining the following objectives:
- Identifying local issues of priority by carrying out context analysis need assessment of all the cities where local United Way chapters are functional
- Compiling a brief profile of the city with information on all the resources available and the challenges
- Identifying suitable projects & activities that are replicable, scalable and sustainable in nature based on the needs of the city
- Developing partnerships with like-minded stakeholders and creating space for them to play significant roles in the process in all the respective cities
- Identifying and engaging all the key stakeholders from all the three sectors i.e. government, civil society and private sector from the targeted cities
- Initiating public-private partnerships for addressing concerns pertaining to environmental preservation and disaster preparedness
- Compiling resource documents, notes, reports, success stories, case studies from Mumbai as well as from other parts of the country and worldwide, so as to enable learning and sharing of experiences with the leadership teams at local United Way chapters
Thus, the overall goal is to establish a national program that brings about significant, visible, measurable and sustainable changes in the levels of Disaster Preparedness, Environmental Concerns and Civic Issues in India through collective measures thereby making India Cleaner, Greener, Safer and a Better place to live in.